Advocating for Evidence Based Marijuana Policy
Tag Archives: Medical Marijuana
Medical marijuana should be held to same standard as other drugs, pharmacist says
- University at Buffalo. (2015, November 10). Medical marijuana should be held to same standard as other drugs, pharmacist says. ScienceDaily. Retrieved November 12, 2015 from http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151110171602.htm
- ScienceDaily Summary:
- Medical marijuana needs to be studied like any other drug. No one is opposed to the active ingredients in it, but we need to have some data. That is what we would expect from any other drug, an expert says.
Adolescents who view medical marijuana ads more likely to use the drug, study finds
- RAND Corporation. (2015, July 6). Adolescents who view medical marijuana ads more likely to use the drug, study finds. ScienceDaily. Retrieved July 9, 2015 from http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/07/150706154858.htm
- ScienceDaily Summary:
- A new study raises questions about whether there is a need to revise prevention programming for youth as the availability, visibility and legal status of marijuana changes. The report found that adolescents who saw advertising for medical marijuana were more likely to either report using marijuana or say they planned to use the substance in the future.
- Elizabeth J. D’Amico, Jeremy N. V. Miles, Joan S. Tucker. Gateway to Curiosity: Medical Marijuana Ads and Intention and Use During Middle School.. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 2015; DOI: 10.1037/adb0000094
WTR-RI Research & Analysis Team Note:
Following are links to two Associated Press Stories that appeared in the Providence Journal recently. They describe some of the regulations with respect to product safety and on site practices dispensaries in Massachusetts must follow.
R.I. can thrive without legal pot
Carol Stuart, RN
Providence Journal, June 4, 2015
Most Americans say medical marijuana shouldn’t be used by kids or in front of kids, legal or not
Bill would add PTSD to approved conditions
Does the Kinsley Ave Fire Help or Hurt Marijuana Legalization in RI?
Tuesday, March 24, 2015
Marijuana use involved in more fatal accidents since commercialization of medical marijuana
Source: (As reported in ScienceDaily, May 15, 2014) University of Colorado Denver. (2014, May 15). Marijuana use involved in more fatal accidents since commercialization of medical marijuana. ScienceDaily. Retrieved May 21, 2014 from www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140515173507.htm
The proportion of marijuana-positive drivers involved in fatal motor vehicle crashes in Colorado has increased dramatically since the commercialization of medical marijuana in the middle of 2009, according to a study. The study raises important concerns about the increase in the proportion of drivers in a fatal motor vehicle crash who were marijuana-positive since the commercialization of medical marijuana in Colorado, particularly in comparison to the 34 non-medical marijuana states.
Stacy Salomonsen-Sautel, Sung-Joon Min, Joseph T. Sakai, Christian Thurstone, Christian Hopfer. Trends in fatal motor vehicle crashes before and after marijuana commercialization in Colorado. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2014; DOI: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2014.04.008